A place to recall and celebrate the wonderful stores of a Downtown Boston now alive only in our memories

Thursday 17 May 2012

Great New Filene’s Book Is Here!



Hello, My Fellow Retro Boston Lovers!

Ever since I began my blog back in January 2008, I have had the wonderful privilege and thrill of getting to know some great authors in the field of retail history.

Michael Lisicky is one such person and he has been so supportive of my retro Boston blog over the last several years. I am proud to announce that his latest, possibly greatest (I am biased in a HUGE way) book is here:

 Filene’s – Boston’s Great Specialty Store

I have had the chance to preview a copy before it officially debuts on May 21st and I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed it!! The book is packed with historic images that will take you down memory lane in no time flat and his well crafted treatment of Filene’s history gets an A+ from this retired teacher!
Michael has done his homework and Boston has a brand new book to fall in love with.


Michael is no stranger to writing books about our great American department stores of the past. His most recent book on New York’s famed Gimbels was released this past year with much well deserved applause. The book on Filene's will be his fourth publication so far...wow!

I encourage my blog readers to get a copy of this great collector’s item. It will make a perfect gift for you or someone you love who misses the once great Boston shopping paradise known as Filene’s.

The link for Amazon is:
http://www.amazon.com/Filenes-Bostons-Specialty-Images-America/dp/0738591580/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336912866&sr=1-1

Also if you are in Boston this summer...mark the date of August 23. Michael will be giving a lecture on Filene’s at the Boston Public Library. It’s a great opportunity to hear a witty and informative speaker who is passionate about retail history.

I must add that Michael continually encourages, supports and nudges me to carry on with my Jordan Marsh Memory Project and this new book of his acts as a wonderful inspiration...so please keep sending me those precious Jordan Marsh memories; we have a project to finish!!!


Well done, Michael....Bravo! Your new book is a treasure!    

Charles:-)




7 comments:

Denholms said...

Thanks Charles for posting this. I have been waiting for this book to come out and cannot wait to read it. Thanks as well for alerting me to the August 23rd event. Cant wait to hear the lecture.
All my best,
Chris
denholms.blogspot.com

JTS said...

This book looks great! Charles, do you think he will do a book on Jordan Marsh?

Charles Boston said...

Thanks to both of you!!!!

JTS...My plan is to do the Jordan Marsh one, I have been very busy gathering items. I call my work in progress, The Jordan Marsh Memory Project.

fibrowitch said...

Sweet, been looking forward to this book. I hope to learn more about the great Edward Filene

Chetanseo said...

This is an awesome blog and its describe all information which i think its all in a positive manner.
Microscope

Old South Meeting House Staff said...

The author will be speaking about this book on Tuesday, July 24 at 6 pm at Old South Meeting House, right in the heart of Downtown Crossing at 310 Washington Street. The talk is free and open to the public!

Old South Meeting House Staff said...

Learn more about the talk at Old South Meeting House at www.osmh.org. Or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OSMHBoston!