A place to recall and celebrate the wonderful stores of a Downtown Boston now alive only in our memories

Saturday 15 August 2009

BRA Visions of Downtown Boston Shopping In 1963: Part Two











Hello, Retro Boston Lovers!
Part two of my posting of the BRA 1963 report on the Boston shopping scene and their "ideas" for making it better. I find it funny and very sad that the words "preserve" or even "character" do not get a mention in any of the pages. You will enjoy the description of dear old Kennedy's...I think they call the building...."not attractive". Mmmm, I wonder why they worked so hard to save the outer walls about 25 years ago when the store was no more.
I also learned through my recent research that Raymond's did relocate into the former RH White building from 1967 until about 1970 ish. Not sure when they called it quits but it must have been by 1972 at the latest. I never did get a look in because of the location and my mother's fear of "that awful end of Washington Street". That location may have done Raymond's in after a few years. I have a feeling they relocated there during the Franklin Street realignment work of 1967-68 and had hopes of rebuilding in their former location but could not raise the needed funds to do it. Enter Woolworth's in the late 60's and that was that.
Enjoy part two...Charles:-)